Official name | Dnipropetrovsk (Дніпропетровськ) |
---|
Native name | Dnepropetrovsk (Днепропетровск) |
---|
Image shield | Dnipropetrovska gerb.png |
---|
Map caption | Map of Ukraine with Dnipropetrovsk highlighted |
---|
Coordinates display | inline,title |
---|
Coordinates region | UA |
---|
Subdivision type | Country |
---|
Subdivision name | |
---|
Subdivision type1 | Oblast |
---|
Subdivision name1 | |
---|
Subdivision type2 | City Municipality |
---|
Subdivision name2 | 22px|border Dnipropetrovsk |
---|
Parts type | Raions |
---|
Parts style | |
---|
Parts | 8 |
---|
P1 | Amur-Nizhniodniprovskyi Raion |
---|
P2 | Babushkinskyi Raion |
---|
P3 | Zhovntevyi Raion |
---|
P4 | Industrialnyi Raion |
---|
P5 | Kirovskyi Raion |
---|
P6 | Krasnohvardiyskyi Raion |
---|
P7 | Leninskyi Raion |
---|
P8 | Samarskyi Raion |
---|
Established title | Founded |
---|
Established date | 1776 |
---|
Leader title | Mayor |
---|
Leader name | Ivan Ivanovych Kulichenko |
---|
Area total km2 | 405 |
---|
Population as of | 2011 |
---|
Population total | 1007200 |
---|
Population density km2 | 2486 |
---|
Elevation m | 155 |
---|
Postal code type | Postal code |
---|
Postal code | 49000 |
---|
Area code | +380 56(2) |
---|
Blank name | Sister cities |
---|
Blank info | Vilnius, Durham Region, Samara, Tashkent, Xi'an, Herzliya, Žilina, Saloniki, Wałbrzych |
---|
Website | gorod.dp.ua |
---|
Footnotes | }} |
---|
Dnipropetrovsk ( ) or Dnepropetrovsk () formerly ''Yekaterinoslav'' (, , translit. ''Katerynoslav'', also ''Catharinoslav'' on old maps) is Ukraine's third largest city with one million inhabitants. It is located southeast of Ukraine's capital Kiev on the Dnieper River, in the south-central region of the country. Dnipropetrovsk is the administrative center of the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast (province).
Within the Dnipropetrovsk Metropolitan area there are 1,860,000 people (2001).
A vital industrial center of Ukraine, Dnipropetrovsk was one of the key centers of the nuclear, arms, and space industries of the former Soviet Union. In particular, it is home to Yuzhmash, a major space and ballistic missile designer and manufacturer. Because of its military industry, the city was a closed city until the 1990s.
Dnipropetrovsk has a highly-developed public transportation system, including the Dnipropetrovsk Metro, which consists of one metro line with a total of 6 stations.
Other names
In 1918 Yekaterinoslav was renamed ''Sicheslav'' by the
Ukrainian People's Republic; this name lapsed in 1919.
Time-line of name change
Yekaterinoslav 1776–1782, reestablished 1783–1797
Novorossiysk 1797–1802
Yekaterinoslav 1802–1917
Sicheslav 1917–1918
Yekaterinoslav 1918–1926
Dnepropetrovsk/Dnipropetrovsk 1926–present
Geography
The city is built mainly upon the banks of the
Dnieper river, in the loop of a major meander where the river changes its course from the north west to continue southerly and later south-westerly through Ukraine, ultimately reaching Kherson where it discharges into the
Black Sea. This location always provided significant opportunities for the advancement of agriculture, mainly thanks to the natural irrigation provided by the river and the resulting fertile soils.
The area upon which the city is built is mainly void of hills and other physical geographical features. Being mainly flat, the land has proven easy to utilize and thus explains why the city has been able to grow to such a great extent over the past 200 years. Whilst most residential and commercial districts of the city are to be found on the less marshy south bank of the river, a number of residential areas have developed on the previously less-hospitable northern bank. With the advancements in civil engineering in Ukraine heralded by the rise of the Soviet Union's industrialization program, the northern bank was made more accessible for development and nowadays a good number of the city's residents live in districts situated there; the area is still, however, largely devoid of any commercial activity.
Nowadays both the north and south banks play home to a range of industrial enterprises and manufacturing plants. The south bank enjoys the exclusive patronage of the city's major business ventures as well as the main railway station and the city airport, which is located around south-easterly of the city.
The center of the city is constructed on a large plateau next to the Dnieper, the old town however, is situated atop of a hill, formed as a result of the river's change of course to the south. Karl Marx Avenue links the two major architectural ensembles of the city and constitutes an important thoroughfare through the centre, which along with various suburban radial road systems, provides some of the area's most vital transport links for both suburban and inter-urban travel.
Climate
During the summer, Dnipropetrovsk is very warm (average day temperature in July is , and in the winter, it is cold (average day temperature in January is .
The best time for visiting the city is in late spring — second part of April and May, and early in autumn: September, October, when the city's trees turn yellow. Long periods of rain are normal in autumn. Other times are mainly dry with a few showers.
The climate is a mixture of temperate and continental climates and sometimes in the winter it is very cold and snowy (sometimes dropping down to −10 to −15 °C), and in summer, the city is not very hot (up to +29 to +30 °C).
"However, the city is characterized with significant pollution of air with industrial emissions." The "severely polluted air and water" and allegedly "vast areas of decimated landscape" of Dnipropetrovsk and Donetsk are considered by some to be an environmental crisis. Though exactly where in Dnipropetrovsk these areas might be found is not stated.
location | Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine |
---|
source | Gorod.dp.ua |
---|
History
Ancient times
The first people settled around the bend of the Dnieper River about 15,000 years ago. Traces of this settlement were discovered on
Monastyrsky Island (Монастырском острове). This unique island appears throughout the history of
Prydniprovia, as a consistent center of events as well as the ancient nucleus of the city. After the last
Ice Age (10,000 years ago) the settling of the Prydniprovia area began more intensely. In c.3500–2700 BC the first farmers lived here (the so-called
Cucuteni-Trypillia culture people).
The Cimmerians, ancient equestrian nomads who bred cattle, occupied the North Pontic steppe zone including Prydniprovye; their culture and civilization flourished between about 1000 and 800 BC The Cimmerians were driven out by the nomadic Scythians (700 BC), who in turn were overcome by the Sarmatians from the East (200 BC).
The mighty, broad Dnieper River (Greeks called it the Borysthenes, 'Borysphen' in local pronunciation) with its picturesque islands and peaceful backwaters, lush flood-meadows and shadowy oak woods stretches along river valleys and ravines. Abundant game and fish in local forests and waters are a result of good climate and vast fertile land... All this attracted hunters, fishers, cattle-breeders and land-tillers to these parts.
In the 3rd and 4th century AD, about 40 km south of the modern city, the village of Baszmacka (Башмачка) was one of the centers of the Goths. A little later their place was taken by first the Huns, the Avars, the Bulgars, and the Magyars. After them the Slavs began to settle in the area.
The middle ages
A monastery was founded by Byzantine monks on Monastyrsky Island, probably in the 9th century (870 AD). The Dnipropetrovsk area was ruled by a steppe nomadic people called the Cumans or Kipchaks who ruled this area until the Mongol invasions. The Mongols destroyed the monastery in 1240.
The collection of so-called 'Stony Women' in the garden of the Museum of History in Karla Marksa was created by the Kipchaks. Actually they are not females, and are a modular collection from neighboring barrows. In the past they served as the index points for the steppe inhabitants.
At the beginning of the 15th century, Tartar tribes inhabiting the right bank of the Dnieper were driven away by the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Unfortunately, by the mid-15th century, the Nogai (who lived north of the Sea of Azov) and the Crimean Khanate invaded these lands. The Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Crimean Khanate agreed to a border along the Dnieper, and further east along the river Samara, i.e. through what is today the city of Dnipropetrovsk. It was in this time that there appeared a new force – the free people – Cossacks – Zaporiz'ki Kazaky (Zaporizhya – the lands south of Prydniprovye, translate as "The Land After the Weirs [Rapids]"). This was a period of raids and fighting causing considerable devastation in that area; the area became known as the 'Wilderness' (Russian Дикое поле; Ukrainian Дике Поле).
16th–18th centuries
The first fortified town in what is now Dnipropetrovsk was probably built in the mid-16th century. In 1635, the Polish Government built the Kodak fortress above the Dnieper Rapids at ''Kodaky'' (on the south-eastern outskirts of modern Dnipropetrovsk), partly as a result of rivalry in the region of Poland, Turkey and Russia, and partly to maintain control over Cossack activity, actually to suppress the Cossacks and not allow flight to the peasants. In the opinion of some historians this event is the time of foundation of the city. It is underlined, however, that the town of Stari (Old) Kodaki (that was near the fortress) existed also before the time of Cossacks in these places. The fortress did not become completely Polish – practically at once it was won. On the night of 3/4 August 1635, the Cossacks of Ivan Sulyma captured the fort by surprise, burning it down and butchering the garrison of about 200 West European mercenaries under Jean Marion. The fort was rebuilt by French engineer Guillaume le Vasseur de Beauplan for the Polish Government in 1638, and had a mercenary garrison. ''Kodak'' was captured by Zaporozhian Cossacks on 1 October 1648, and was garrisoned by the Cossacks until its demolition in accordance with the Treaty of the Pruth in 1711. The ruins of the Kodak are visible now. There is a currently a project to restore it and create a tourist center and park-museum.
However, after the signing by Bohdan Khmelnytsky of the agreement about the Union with Moscow, the territory officially passed under the authority of the Russians. But actually, Prydniprovye lands remained as a self-controlled, sub-borderian area up to the end of the 18th century.
The Zaporozhian village of ''Polovytsia'' was founded in the late-1760s, between the settlements of Stari (Old) and Novi (New) Kodaky, territorially was eastern remote part of Novi Kojdaky. It was located at the present centre of the city to the West to district of Central terminal and ''Ozyorka'' farmer market.
1775–1917: Modern city establishment
The city that is now called Dnipropetrovsk was founded as part of the expansion of the Russian Empire into the lands North of the Black Sea, known as the Novorossiysk gubernia. The city was originally known as ''Yekaterinoslav'', which translates in English to "The glory of Yekaterina" (Catherine the Great). It became the administrative center of the Yekaterinoslav Governorate.
Cossack and Russian armies fought against the Ottoman Empire for control of this area in the Russo-Turkish War (1768–1774). The Treaty of Küçük Kaynarca ended this war in July 1774; and in May 1775 the Russian army destroyed the Zaporozhian Sich, thus eliminating the political independence of Cossacks. In 1774 Prince Grigori Potemkin was appointed governor of Novorossiysk gubernia, and after the destruction of the Zaporozhian Sich, he started founding cities in the region and encouraging foreign settlers. The city of ''Yekaterinoslav'' was founded in 1776, not in the current location, but at the confluence of the River Samara with the River Kil'chen' at Loshakivka, north of the Dnieper. By 1782, the city population was 2,194. However the site had been badly chosen because spring waters were transforming the city into a bog. The settlement was later renamed Novomoskovsk.
In 1783, ''Yekaterinoslav'' was refounded on its current site, on the south bank of the Dnieper, near the Zaporozhian village of ''Polovytsia''. The population of ''Yekaterinoslav-Kil'chen''' were (according to some sources) transferred to the new site. Potemkin's plans for the city were extremely ambitious; it was to be about 30 km by 25 km in size, and included:
Transfiguration Cathedral (the claim that it was intended to be the largest in the world probably results from confusing Potemkin's reference to San Paulo-fuori-le-mura in Rome with St Peter's Basilica.)
The Potemkin palace
A magnificent university (never built)
A botanical garden on Monastyrskyi Island
Wide straight avenues through the city.
The site for the Potemkin palace was bought from retired Cossack yesaul (colonel) Lazar' Globa, who owned much of the land near the city. Part of Lazar' Globa's gardens still exist and are now called Globa Park.
A combination of Russian red tape, defective workmanship, and theft resulted in what was built being less than originally planned. Construction stopped after the death of Potemkin and his sponsor, Empress Catherine. Plans were reconsidered and scaled back. The size of the cathedral was reduced, and it was completed in 1835. From 1797 to 1802 the city was called ''Novorossiysk''.
Despite the bridging of the Dnieper in 1796 and the growth of trade in the early 19th century, ''Yekaterinoslav'' remained small until the 1880s, when the railway was built and industrialization of the city began. The boom was caused by two men: John Hughes, a Welsh businessman who built an iron works at what is now Donetsk in 1869–72, and developed the Donetsk coal deposits.; and Alexandr Pol', a Ukrainian who accidentally discovered the Kryvyi Rih iron ores in 1866, during archaeological research.
The Donetsk coal was necessary for smelting pig-iron from the Kryvyi Rih ore, producing a need for railway to connect Donetsk with Kryvyi Rih. Permission to build the railway was given in 1881, and it opened in 1884. The railway crossed the Dnieper at ''Yekaterinoslav''. The city grew quickly; new suburbs appeared: Amur, Nizhnedniprovsk and the factory areas developed. In 1897, ''Yekaterinoslav'' became the third city in the Russian Empire to have electric trams. The Higher Mining School opened in 1899, and by 1913 it had grown into the Mining Institute.
Russian defeat in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905 resulted in revolts against the Tsar in many places including ''Yekaterinoslav''. Tens of people were killed and hundreds wounded. There was a wave of anti-Semitic attacks.
From 1902 to 1933, the famous historian of the Zaporozhian Cossacks, Dmytro Yavornytsky, was Director of the Dnipropetrovsk Museum, which was later named after him. Before his death in 1940, Yavornytsky wrote a ''History of the City of Yekaterinoslav'', which lay in manuscript for many years. It was only published in 1989 as a result of the Gorbachev reforms.
1917–1919: Civil War
After the Russian February revolution in 1917 Yekaterinoslav became a city within autonomy of Ukrainian People's Republic under Tsentralna Rada government. In November 1917 the Bolsheviks led a rebellion and got power for a short time. The city experienced occupation of German and Austrian-Hungarian armies that were allies of Ukrainian Hetman Pavlo Skoropadskyi and helped him to keep authority in the country.
During power of Ukrainian Directorate government with its dictator Symon Petlura the city had periods of uncertain power; at times the anarchists of Nestor Makhno held the city, and at others Denikin's Volunteer Army. Military operations of the Red Army which was headed from the North brought captured the city in 1919, and despite attempts by Russian General Wrangel in 1920, he was unable to reach Yekaterinoslav, with War ending the following year.
1919–1991: in the Soviet Union and under Nazi rule
The city was renamed after the Communist leader of Ukraine Grigory Petrovsky in 1926.
During the German occupation of Ukraine in World War II, the city gave its name to one of the six ''generalbezirke'' in which a Nazi ''Generalkommissar'' was in charge under the authority of the Reichskommissar in Kiev. Dnipropetrovsk was an important center of Jewish life, and 80,000 Jews lived in the city before the Holocaust, but soon after the Nazis conquered the city on 12 October 1941, 11,000 were shot; in the end only 15 Jews of Dnipropetrovsk survived at the end of the war.
During the past century, the economic activity of the city has defined its political importance. Dnipropetrovsk and the surrounding oblast are the birthplace of the "Dnipropetrovsk Faction", an influential informal political group inside the CPSU, members of which were the industrial and party elite. Leonid Brezhnev, a native of the nearby city of Dniprodzerzhyns'k and later the Communist Party General Secretary, assured members of this group of a prominent place in Soviet society and politics. Members of this group are believed by many political scientists to have ruled not only the Ukrainian SSR but also the entire Soviet Union up to the accession of Mikhail Gorbachev to the position of CPSU General Secretary and President of the Soviet Union.
1944–1987: as a Closed City in the Soviet Union
As early as July 1944, the State Committee of Defense in
Moscow decided to build a large military machine-building factory in Dniepropetrovsk on the location of the pre-war aircraft plant. In December of 1945, thousands of German
prisoners of war began construction and built the first sections and shops in the new factory. This was the foundation of the Dniepropetrovsk Automobile Factory. In 1947 and 1948 this factory produced the first cars and special military
automobiles. However, on May 9, 1951 the USSR Council of Ministers decided to transform the main shops and sectors of this factory into a secret enterprise, which included not only special military vehicles but also powerful
rocket engines and different modern military aircraft. The former Dniepropetrovsk Automobile Factory was transferred to the Ministry of Armament of the USSR and it received a new name – the State Union Plant #586.
Stalin himself suggested special secret training for highly qualified engineers and scientists to become rocket construction specialists. He recommended introducing a new college degree at Dniepropetrovsk State University: a master of sciences in rocket construction. In 1952 the university administration formed the new department with the name “Physical-technical Faculty.” It was the largest department at the university, admitting an average of four hundred students per year. These students received better accommodations and a higher stipend payment than students from other departments and colleges. The lowest stipend for this department was 450 rubles per student, while the highest stipend at another prestigious school, the Dniepropetrovsk Medical Institute, was 180 rubles. A special commission from Moscow selected talented undergraduate students studying physics from engineering schools all over the USSR and sent them to the physical-technical department at Dniepropetrovsk State University, where they resumed their studies as rocket engineers. Simultaneously, the university administration announced the admission of new freshmen students in this department. The promise of a good stipend and a glamorized career as a rocket engineer attracted thousands of talented young people to this “secret” department, which provided training specialists only for one industrial enterprise, the Dniepropetrovsk Automobile Factory.
In 1954 the administration of this automobile factory opened a secret design office with the name “Southern” (konstruktorskoe biuro Yuzhnoe – in Russian) to construct military missiles and rocket engines. Hundreds of talented physicists, engineers and machine designers moved from Moscow and other large cities in the Soviet Union to Dniepropetrovsk to join this “Southern” design office. In 1965, the secret Plant #586 was transferred to the Ministry of General Machine-Building of the USSR. The next year this plant officially changed its name into “the Southern Machine-building Factory” (Yuzhnyi mashino-stroitel’nyi zavod) or in abbreviated Russian, simply Yuzhmash. The first “General Constructor” and head of the “Southern” design office was Mikhail Yangel’, a prominent scientist and outstanding designer of space rockets, who managed not only the design office, but the entire factory from 1954 to 1971. Yangel’ designed the first powerful rockets and space military equipment for the Soviet Ministry of Defense. Moscow sent specialists and invested money into Yangel’ and his colleagues’ projects. Yangel’ collaborated with talented engineers who later became the leaders of military production in Dniepropetrovsk and the official directors of Yuzhmash. Two close collaborators of Yangel and of his successor V. Utkin (1971-1990) were the Yuzhmash directors Leonid Smirnov (1952-1961) and Aleksandr Makarov (1961-1986).
In 1951 the Southern Machine-building Factory began manufacturing and testing new military rockets for the battlefield. The range of these first missiles was only 270 kilometers. By 1959 Soviet scientists and engineers developed new technology, and as a result, the “Southern” design office (KBYu – as abbreviated in Russian) started a new machine-building project making ballistic missiles. Under the leadership of Yangel’, KBYu produced such powerful rocket engines that the range of these ballistic missiles was practically without limits. During the 1960s, these powerful rocket engines were used as launch vehicles for the first Soviet space ships. During Makarov’s directorship, Yuzhmash designed and manufactured four generations of missile complexes of different types. These included space launch vehicles Kosmos, Interkosmos, Tsyklon -2, Tsyklon-3 and Zenith. Under the leadership of Yangel’s successor, V. Utkin, the KBYu created a unique space-rocket system called Energia-Buran. Yuzhmash engineers manufactured 400 technical devices which had been launched as artificial satellites (Sputniks). For the first time in the world space industry, the Dniepropetrovsk missile plant organized the serial production of space Sputniks. By the 1980s, this plant manufactured 67 different types of space ships, 12 space research complexes and 4 defense space rocket systems. These systems were used not only for purely military purposes by the Ministry of Defense, but also for astronomic research, for global radio and television network and for ecological monitoring. Yuzhmash initiated and sponsored the international space program of socialist countries, called Interkosmos. A majority of the 25 automatic space Sputniks (22) of this program, were designed, manufactured and launched by engineers and workers from Dniepropetrovsk. Yuzhmash and KBYu became an important center for the Soviet space industry, Soviet military industrial complex and also the main rocket producer for the entire Soviet bloc.
On the eve of the collapse of the Soviet Union, KBYu had 9 regular and corresponding members of the Soviet Academy of Sciences, 33 full professors and 290 scientists holding a Ph.D. They awarded scientific degrees and presided over a prestigious graduate school at KBYu, which attracted talented students of physics from all over the USSR. More than 50,000 people worked at Yuzhmash. At the end of the 1950s, Yuzhmash became the main Soviet design and manufacturing center for different types of missile complexes. The Soviet Ministry of Defense included Yuzhmash in its strategic plans. The military rocket systems manufactured in Dniepropetrovsk became the major component of the newly born Soviet Missile Forces of Strategic Purpose.
According to contemporaries, Yuzhmash was separate entity inside the Soviet state. After a long period of competition with the Moscow center of rocket construction of V. Chelomei (a successor of Koroliov) Yuzhmash rocket designs won in 1969. Since that time leaders of the Soviet military industrial complex preferred Yuzhmash rocket models. By the end of the 1970s, this plant became the major center for designing, constructing, manufacturing, testing and deploying strategic and space missile complexes in the Soviet Union. The general designer and director of Yuzhmash supervised the work of numerous research institutes, design centers and factories all over the Soviet Union from Moscow, Leningrad and Kiev, to Voronezh and Yerevan. The Soviet state provided billions of Soviet rubles to finance Yuzhmash projects.
Officially, Yuzhmash manufactured agricultural tractors and special kitchen equipment for everyday needs, such as mincing-machines or juicers for peaceful Soviet households. In official reports for the general audience there was no information about the production of rockets or spaceships. However, hundreds of thousands of workers and engineers in the city of Dniepropetrovsk worked in this plant and members of their families (up to 60% of the city population!) knew about the “real production” of Yuzhmash. This missile plant became a significant factor in the arms race of the Cold War. This is why the Soviet government approved of the KGB’s secrecy about Yuzhmash and its products. According to the Soviet government’s decision, the city of Dniepropetrovsk was officially closed to foreign visitors in 1959. No citizen of a foreign country (even of the socialist ones) was allowed to visit the city or district of Dniepropetrovsk. After the late 1950s ordinary Soviet people called Dniepropetrovsk “the rocket closed city.”
Only during perestroika was Dniepropetrovsk opened to foreigners again in 1987. (see in detail in Sergei I. Zhuk, Rock and Roll in the Rocket City: The West, Identity, and Ideology in Soviet Dniepropetrovsk, 1960-1985 (Baltimore, MD: the Johns Hopkins University Press & Washington, D.C.: Woodrow Wilson Center Press, 2010), 18-28.
After 1991: Since Ukrainian independence
In June 1990, the women’s department of Dnipropetrovsk preliminary prison was destroyed in prison riots. In the ten years that followed, women under investigation (i.e. not convicted) in Dnipropetrovsk oblast were either held in Preliminary Prison 4 in
Kryvyi Rih or in "detention blocks" in Dnipropetrovsk; this contravened Ukrainian Law "On preliminary incarceration". Journeys from Kryviy Rih took up to six hours in special railway carriages with grated windows. Some prisoners had to do this 14 or 15 times. After complaints by the ombudsman (Nina Karpacheva) the head of the State prison department of Ukraine (Vladimir Levochkin) arranged that finances were given for the provision of women cells in Dnipropetrovsk Preliminary Prison, making the lives of the 15,000 unconvicted women-detainees easier from August 2000.
In 2005, the most powerful representative of the "Dnipropetrovsk Faction" in Ukrainian politics was Leonid Kuchma, the former President of Ukraine and former senior manager of Yuzhmash.
In June and July 2007, Dnipropetrovsk experienced a wave of serial killings that were dubbed by the media as the work of the Dnipropetrovsk maniacs. In February 2009, three youths were sentenced for their part in 21 murders.
Demographics
Year
|
Ethnicity of Citizens
|
ForeignCitizens
|
Reference
|
Russian
|
Ukrainian
|
Jewish
|
Polish
|
German
|
align = "left">1897 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
< |
|
align = "left">1897 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
< |
|
align = "left">1904(?) |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Between 1923 and 1933 the Ukrainian proportion of the population of Dnipropetrovsk increased from 16% to 48%. This was part of a national trend.
Culture
Attractions
The city has a variety of theatres (plus an Opera) and museums which may be of interest to tourists. There are also several parks, restaurants and beaches which have no linguistic requirements.
The major streets of the city were renamed in honour of Marxist heroes during the Soviet era. The central thoroughfare is known as Karl Marx Prospekt, a beautiful, wide and long boulevard that stretches east to west through the centre of the city. It was founded in the 18th century and parts of its buildings are the actual decoration of the city. In the heart of the city is ''Zhovtneva'' [October] Square, which includes the majestic cathedral founded by order of Catherine the Great in 1787.
On the square, there are some remarkable buildings: the Museum of History, Diorama "Battle for the Dnieper River (World War II)", and also the beautiful park in which one can rest in the hot summer. Walking down the hill to the Dnieper River, one arrives in the large Taras Shevchenko Park (which is on the right bank of the river) and on Monastyrsky Island. This island is one of the most interesting places in the city. In the 9th century, the Byzantine monks based a monastery here. It was destroyed by Mongol-Tatars in the 13th century.
While there is no longer any compact "old town" in Dnipropetrovsk, there are still many surviving buildings of historical interest. (Most of them, especially churches, were unfortunately destroyed during World War II and Stalin's reign of terror in the 1930s.
A few areas retain their historical character: all of Central Avenue, some street-blocks on the main hill (the Nagorna part) between Pushkin Prospekt and Embankment, and sections near Globa (formerly known as Chkalov park until it was recently renamed) and Shevchenko parks have been untouched for 150 years.
The Dnieper River keeps the climate mild. It is visible from many points in Dnipropetrovsk. From any hill (there are 3 in the city) you will find a beautiful view of the river, islands, parks, outskirts, river banks and hills.
There was no need to build skyscrapers in the city in Soviet times. The major industries preferred to locate their offices close to their factories and away from the center of town. In the last ten years since independence the price of real estate has increased considerably. Most new office buildings are being built in the same architectural style as the old buildings, there are however a number with more modern aesthetics as well as those which utilize the two styles in a blend of old and new.
Architecture and cityscape
Sport
The city also houses the
Ukrainian Premier League football club,
FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk. This club, commonly seen as representing the city at large, holds a record for being the only Soviet team to win the USSR Federation Cup twice; since independence they have gone on to win the
Ukrainian Championship once and the Ukrainian League Cup three times. Despite Dnipro's dominance, a number of other teams also call Dnipropetrovsk their home, these include, amongst others, FC Lokomotyv Dnipropetrovsk and FC Spartak Dnipropetrovsk, both of which have large fan bases in the city. On a national/international stage however, no team from the city has met with the same level of success experienced by FC Dnipro.
The Dnipro Arena hosted the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification game between Ukraine and England on 10 October 2009.
Dnipropetrovsk is represented within Ukrainian Bandy and Rink-bandy Federation.
Recently the city built a new football stadium; the Dnipro Arena has a capacity of 31,003 people and was built as a replacement for Dnipro's old stadium, Stadium Meteor. The Dnipro Arena was initially chosen as one of the Ukrainian venues for their joint Euro 2012 bid with Poland. However it was dropped from the list in May 2009 as the capacity fell short of the minimum 33,000 seats required by UEFA.
Economy
Dnipropetrovsk is a major industrial center of Ukraine. It has several facilities devoted to heavy industry that produce a wide range of products, including
cast-iron, rolled metal, pipes,
machinery, different mining combines,
agricultural equipment,
tractors,
trolleybuses, refrigerators, different chemicals and many others. The most famous and the oldest (founded in the 19th century) is the Metallurgic Plant named after Petrovsky. The city also has big food processing and light industry factories. Many sewing and dress-making factories work for France, Canada, Germany and Great Britain, using the most advanced technologies, materials and design. Dnipropetrovsk has also dominated in the
aerospace industry since the 1950s; construction department
Yuzhnoye Design Bureau and
Yuzhmash are well known to the specialists all over the world.
Dniproavia, an airline, has its head office on the grounds of Dnipropetrovsk International Airport.
Year
|
Factories& Plants
|
Employees
|
Production Volume
|
Reference
|
rubles
|
2007 £million
|
2007 USDmillion
|
align = "left">1880 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
< |
|
align = "left">1903 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Year
|
Enterprises
|
Earnings
|
Reference
|
rubles
|
2007 £million
|
2007 USDmillion
|
align = "left">1900 |
|
|
|
|
|
< |
|
align = "left">1940 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
Transportation
Local transportation
The main public forms of transport within Dnipropetrovsk are trams, buses, electric trolley buses and marshrutkas—private minibuses. In addition there are large numbers of taxis and many private cars. Bicycles are rarely in use along with an increasing number of motor scooters. The trams are very badly maintained, and the rails are in poor condition. Also roads are bad or small roads also very bad with no asphalt left and big holes. Major roads and highways are of better quality.
Dnipropetrovsk also has a metro system, opened in 1995, which consists of one line and 6 stations. Work on other stations was abandoned when the city ran out of money for this project; two of these abandoned building works are in the central portion of Karla Marksa Avenue. Currently the project has been restarted. Completion of the next two stations is necessary to make the municipal subway system profitable. At the present time the completion date is unknown.
Suburban transportation
Dnipropetrovsk has some highways crossing through the city. The most popular routes are from
Kiev,
Donetsk,
Kharkiv and
Zaporizhia. Transit through the city is also available.
The largest bus station in eastern Ukraine is located in Dnipropetrovsk. It is near the city's Central Railway Terminal. Bus routes are also available to all over the country, including some international routes to Russia, Poland, Germany, Moldova and Turkey.
In the summertime, there are some routes available by hydrofoils on the Dnieper River. Various tourist ships on their way down the Dnieper, (Kiev–Kherson–Odessa) always make a stop in the city.
Railroads
The city is a large railway junction. Daily trains run to and from many parts of
Eastern Europe. There are two railway terminals, "Dnipropetrovsk-Main" and "Dnipropetrovsk-Yuzhnyi". Two rapid trains at day time from
Kiev to Dnipropetrovsk and there are a few express trains at night. Trains come from
Lviv,
Simferopol,
Odessa,
Ivano-Frankivsk,
Truskavets,
Donetsk,
Minsk (
Belarus),
Moscow (
Russia) (st.
Kursky),
Saint Petersburg (
Russia) (st.
Vitebsky),
Baku (
Azerbaijan),
Varna (
Bulgaria) and other places.
Air travel
The city is served by an
Dnipropetrovsk International Airport and is connected to other European cities with daily flights.
Notable people from Dnipropetrovsk
Oksana Baiul — figure skating Olympic Gold Medalist in 1994
Helena Blavatsky — founder of Theosophical Society
Marina Maximillian Blumin — Singer/Songwriter and Kokhav Nolad contestant
Katherine Esau — botanist
Kyrylo Fesenko — NBA basketball player
Ilya Kabakov — contemporary artist
Leonid Kogan — violinist
Victor Kravchenko — Soviet dissident
Inessa Kravets — long jumper and triple jumper (holds women's record in triple jump)
Leonid Kuchma — President of Ukraine in 1994–2005
Pavlo Lazarenko — Prime Minister of Ukraine in 1990s
Leonid Levin — computer scientist
Igor Morozov (singer) — Russian-Ukrainian operasinger, soloist of Moscow's Bolshoi-Theatre, "People's Artist of Russia"
Mikhail Nekrich — musician
Igor Olshansky — NFL defensive tackle
Viktor Petrov - Ukrainian historian and writer also known under his pen names Domontovych and Ber
Gregor Piatigorsky — cellist
Viktor Pinchuk — Ukrainian business oligarch
Sergei Prokofiev — composer
Inna Ryzhykh - professional triathlete
Boris Sagal – American television and film director, born there.
Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson — "Lubavitcher Rebbe" headed the Worldwide Chabad-Lubavitch Movement. Posthumously awarded the U.S. Congressional Gold Medal.
Moses Schönfinkel — logician and mathematician
Oleg Tverdokhleb — Athlete – 400 metre hurdles
Yulia Tymoshenko — Prime Minister of Ukraine in 2005 and 2007–10
List of mayors and political chiefs of the city administration
Date
|
Name in English
|
Name
|
Post
|
| Jun 1786–1787 |
Ivan Shevelev | | Шевелев Иван |
mayor
|
| 1791–1794 |
Dmitri Yemelianovich Goriainov | | Горяинов Дмитрий Емельянович |
mayor
|
| 1794–1796 |
Peter Ivanovich Bashmakov | | Башмаков Петр Иванович |
mayor
|
| 1796–1797 |
Gregory Kustov | | Кустов Григорий |
mayor
|
| 1797–1800 |
Dmitri Yemelianovich Goriainov| | Горяинов Дмитрий Емельянович |
mayor
|
| 1800–1803 |
Kuzma Molchanov | | Молчанов Кузьма |
mayor
|
| 1803–1806 |
Peter Chetverikov | | Четвериков Петр |
mayor
|
| 1806–1809 |
Athanasius Kokhanov | | Коханов Афанасий |
mayor
|
| 1809–1811 |
Stephan Chetverikov | | Четвериков Степан |
mayor
|
| 1811–1812 |
Dmitri Yemelianovich Goriainov | | Горяинов Дмитрий Емельянович |
mayor
|
| 1812–1817 |
Ivan Vasilievich Kolesnikov | | Колесников Иван Васильевич |
mayor
|
| 1818–1821 |
Demian Kiselev | | Киселев Демьян |
mayor
|
| 1821–1825 |
Ivan Vasilievich Kolesnikov | | Колесников Иван Васильевич |
mayor
|
| 1825–1828 |
Jacob Andreivich Rokhlin | | Рохлин Яков Андреевич |
mayor
|
| Jan 1828 – Apr 1828 |
Ivan Stepanovich Pcholkin | | Пчелкин Иван Степанович |
mayor
|
| Apr 1828 – Sep 1828 |
Ivan Vasilievich Kolesnikov | | Колесников Иван Васильевич |
mayor
|
| 1830–1833 |
Fedor Safronovich Duplenko | | Дупленко Федор Сафронович |
mayor
|
| 1833–1834 |
Jacob Andreivich Rokhlin | | Рохлин Яков Андреевич |
mayor
|
| 1834–1836 |
Andrei Ivanovich Kirpishnikov | | Кирпишников Андрей Иванович |
mayor
|
| 1836–1839 |
Jacob Andreivich Rokhlin | | Рохлин Яков Андреевич |
mayor
|
| 1839–1842 |
Ivan Timothyvich Artamonov | | Артамонов Иван Тимофеевич |
mayor
|
| 1842–1843 |
Ilya Ivanovich Tarkhov | | Тархов Илья Иванович |
mayor
|
| 1843–1846 |
Thomas Fedorovich Bogdanov | | Богданов Фома Федорович |
mayor
|
| 1846–1847 |
Procopius Andreivich Belyavskii | | Белявский Прокопий Андреевич |
acting mayor
|
| 1847–1851 |
Ivan Izotovich Lovyagin | | Ловягин Иван Изотович |
mayor
|
| Apr 1851–1854 |
Procopius Andreivich Belyavskii | | Белявский Прокопий Андреевич |
mayor
|
| 1854–1860 |
Ivan Izotovich Lovyagin | | Ловягин Иван Изотович |
mayor
|
| 1860–1861 |
Yegor Ptitsyn | | Птицын Егор |
acting mayor
|
| Nov 1861–1864 |
Ivan Izotovich Lovyagin | | Ловягин Иван Изотович |
mayor
|
| 1864–1864 |
Dei Mikhailovich Minakov | | Минаков Дей Михайлович |
acting mayor
|
| 1864–1865 |
Konstantin Demyanovich Kiselev | | Киселев Константин Демьянович |
mayor
|
| 1865–1868 |
Dei Mikhailovich Minakov | | Минаков Дей Михайлович |
mayor
|
| 1868–1871 |
DV Pcholkin | | Пчелкин Д. В. |
mayor
|
| 1871–1877 |
Dei Mikhailovich Minakov | | Минаков Дей Михайлович |
mayor
|
| 1877–1885 |
Peter Vasilievich Kalabuhov | | Калабухов Петр Васильевич |
mayor
|
| 1885–1888 |
Ivan Mikhailovich Yakovlev | | Яковлев Иван Михайлович |
mayor
|
| 7 Feb 1889–1893 |
Alexander Yakovlevich Tolstikov | | Толстиков Александр Яковлевич |
mayor
|
| 1893–1901 |
Ivan Gavrilovic Grekov | | Греков Иван Гаврилович |
mayor
|
| 1901–1901 |
Alexander Yakovlevich Tolstikov | | Толстиков Александр Яковлевич |
mayor
|
| 1901–1902 |
Peter Filippovich Volkov | | Волков Петр Филиппович |
acting mayor
|
| 1902 – Nov 1905 |
Alexander Yakovlevich Tolstikov | | Толстиков Александр Яковлевич |
mayor
|
| Nov 1905 – 26 Nov 1909 |
Ivan Yakovlevich Esau | | Эзау Иван Яковлевич |
mayor
|
| 1909 – 17 Mar 1917 |
Ivan Vasilievich Sposobny | | Способный Иван Васильевич |
mayor
|
| 1917–1917 |
Konstantin Igorevich Makarenko | | Макаренко Константин Игорьевич |
acting mayor
|
| Aug 1917–1917 |
Vasily Ivanovich Osipov | | Осипов Василий Иванович |
mayor
|
| 1918 – 1 Feb 1919 |
Ivan Yakovlevich Esau | | Эзау Иван Яковлевич |
mayor
|
| 1927–1928 |
F Ryazanov | | Рязанов Ф. |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1929–1929 |
Bogdanova | | Богданова |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1929–1933 |
Sorokin | | Сорокин |
head of the municipal council (soviet)
|
| 1930–1932 |
Fedor Ivanovich Zaitsev | | Зайцев Федор Иванович |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| 1933–1933 |
Kisilev | | Кисилев |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| 1933–1933 |
Nikolai Vasilievich Golubenko | | Голубенко Николай Васильевич |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| 1933–1936 |
Ivan Andreevich Gavrilov | | Гаврилов Иван Андреевич |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| 1934–1934 |
Miroshnichenko | | Мирошниченко |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| 1935–1935 |
Belyaev | | Беляев |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| 1935–1936 |
Rudenko | | Руденко |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| Dec 1936 – Jul 1937 |
Peter Constantinovich Vetrov | | Ветров Петр Константинович |
municipal party committee secretary
|
| 1937–1937 |
Petrichenko | | Петриченко |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| Nov 1937 – 24 Feb 1938 |
Demian Sergeivich Korotchenko | | Коротченко Демьян Сергеевич |
Communist Party of Ukraine>CP
|
| 24 Feb 1938 – Jun 1938 |
Semen Borisovich Zadionchenko | | Задионченко Семен Борисович |
Communist Party of Ukraine>CP
|
| Jun 1938 – Jul 1941 |
Semen Borisovich Zadionchenko| | Задионченко Семен Борисович |
Communist Party of Ukraine>CP
|
| 1938–1938 |
Khrenov | | Хренов |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| 1939–1939 |
Martynov | | Мартынов |
head of the municipal council (soviet) and urban executive committee
|
| Dec 1939 – Jul 1941 |
Nikolai Anisimovich Shchelokov | | Щелоков Николай Анисимович |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1941–1942 |
Klostermann | | Клостерман |
commissioner of the city on behalf of the Third Reich
|
| 1941–1943 |
PT Sokolovsky | | Соколовский П. Т. |
head of city council
|
| 1943–1945 |
Didenko Gavrilovich Manzyuk | | Манзюк Николай Гаврилович |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| 1943–1944 |
GP Vinnik | | Винник Г. П. |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1944–1945 |
Gerasimov | | Герасимов |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1945–1947 |
Pavel Andreevich Naydenov | | Найденов Павел Андреевич |
Communist Party of Ukraine>CP
|
| 1945–1952 |
Nikolai Evstafevich Gavrilenko | | Гавриленко Николай Евстафьевич |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1947–1950 |
Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev | | Брежнев Леонид Ильич |
Communist Party of Ukraine>CP
|
| 1952–1957 |
Nikolai Andreevich Raspopov | | Распопов Николай Андреевич |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1957–1963 |
Nikolai Evstafevich Gavrilenko | | Гавриленко Николай Евстафьевич |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1961–1964 |
Viktor Mikhailovich Chebrikov | | Чебриков Виктор Михайлович |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| 1963–1964 |
Grigory Mikhailovich Sokurenko | | Сокуренко Григорий Михайлович |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1964–1967 |
Boris Ivanovich Karmazin | | Кармазин Борис Иванович |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1964–1970 |
Ivan Vasilievich Yatsuba | | Яцуба Иван Васильевич |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| 1967–1970 |
Eugene Viktorovich Kachalovskaya | | Качаловский Евгений Викторович |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1970–1974 |
Eugene Viktorovich Kachalovskaya | | Качаловский Евгений Викторович |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| 1970–1974 |
Victor Grigorievich Boyko | | Бойко Виктор Григорьевич |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1974–1976 |
Victor Grigorievich Boyko | | Бойко Виктор Григорьевич |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| 1974–1981 |
Ivan Afanasievich Lyakh | | Лях Иван Афанасьевич |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1976–1983 |
Vladimir Petrovich Oshko | | Ошко Владимир Петрович |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| 1981–1989 |
Alexander Vasilivich Migdeev | | Мигдеев Александр Васильевич |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| 1983–1988 |
Nikolai Grigorievich Omelchenko | | Омельченко Николай Григорьевич |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| Dec 1988–1991 |
Vladimir Grigorievich Yatsuba | | Яцуба Владимир Григорьевич |
first secretary of the city party committee
|
| Oct 1989 – Mar 1991 |
Pustovoitenko, Valery Pavlovich | | Пустовойтенко Валерий Павлович |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| Oct 1990–1991 |
Vladimir Grigorievich Yatsuba | | Яцуба Владимир Григорьевич |
head of city council
|
| Mar 1991 – Apr 1993 |
Valery Pavlovich Pustovoitenko | | Пустовойтенко Валерий Павлович |
head of city council
|
| 1991–1993 |
Valery Pavlovich Pustovoitenko | | Пустовойтенко Валерий Павлович |
chief of municipal executive committee
|
| Apr 1993 – Jun 1994 |
Victor Timothyvich Merkushov | | Меркушов Виктор Тимофеевич |
head of the committee and city council
|
| Jun 1994 – Oct 1999 |
Nikolai Antonovich Shvets | | Швец Николай Антонович |
head of the committee and city council
|
| Apr 1999 – Jan 2000 |
Ivan Ivanovich Kulichenko | | Куличенко Иван Иванович |
acting mayor
|
| Jan 2000–present |
Ivan Ivanovich Kulichenko | | Куличенко Иван Иванович |
mayor
|
International relations
Twin towns — Sister cities
The city of Dnipropetrovsk is
twinned with:
| * Krasnoyarsk, Russia
|
* Žilina, Slovakia, since 13 February 1993
|
* Thessaloniki, Greece, since 27 February 1984
|
|
Vilnius, Lithuania, since 29 September 1998
|
Samara, Russia>Samara, Russia. since 25 May 1993
|
* Tashkent, Uzbekistan, since 1998
|
|
Dalian, People's Republic of China>China
|
Xi'an, People's Republic of China>China, since 1998
|
* Herzliya, Israel
|
See also
Golden Rose Synagogue (Dnipropetrovsk)
Dnepropetrovsk maniacs
References
External links
Category:Dnipropetrovsk Oblast
Category:Cities in Ukraine
Category:Closed cities
Category:Populated places established in 1776
af:Dnjepropetrowsk
ar:دنبروبتروفسك
be:Горад Днепрапятроўск
be-x-old:Днепрапятроўск
bg:Днепропетровск
ca:Dnipropetrovsk
cv:Днепропетровск
cs:Dněpropetrovsk
da:Dnepropetrovsk
de:Dnipropetrowsk
et:Dnipropetrovsk
el:Ντνιπροπετρόφσκ
es:Dnipropetrovsk
eo:Dnipropetrovsko
eu:Dnipropetrovsk
fa:دنیپروپتروفسک
fr:Dnipropetrovsk
ko:드니프로페트로우시크
hsb:Dnipropetrowsk
hr:Dnjepropetrovsk
id:Dnipropetrovsk
ie:Dnipropetrovsk
os:Днепропетровск
it:Dnipropetrovs'k
he:דניפרופטרובסק
kl:Dnepropetrovsk
ka:დნეპროპეტროვსკი
lv:Dņepropetrovska
lt:Dniepropetrovskas
mr:द्नेप्रोपेत्रोव्स्क
nl:Dnjepropetrovsk
ja:ドニプロペトロウシク
no:Dnipropetrovsk
pnb:دنیپروپترووسک
pl:Dniepropetrowsk
pt:Dnipropetrovsk
crh:Dnipropetrovsk
ro:Dniepropetrovsk
rue:Днїпропетровск
ru:Днепропетровск
sco:Dnipropetrovsk
simple:Dnipropetrovsk
sk:Dnepropetrovsk
sr:Дњепропетровск
sh:Dnjipropetrovsk
fi:Dnepropetrovsk
sv:Dnipropetrovsk
tl:Dnipropetrovsk
tt:Днепропетровск
th:ดนีโปรเปตรอฟสค์
tr:Dnipropetrovsk
udm:Днепропетровск
uk:Дніпропетровськ
vi:Dnipropetrovsk
vo:Dnipropetrovsk
war:Dnipropetrovsk
zh:第聂伯罗彼得罗夫斯克