
- Order:
- Duration: 4:05
- Published: 10 Jul 2008
- Uploaded: 24 Mar 2011
- Author: tinoulamutti
Name | Rouen |
---|---|
Image size | 200px |
Image coat of arms | Blason Rouen 76.svg |
Latitude | 49.441203 |
Longitude | 1.096272 |
Time zone | CET (UTC +1) |
Insee | 76540 |
Region | Upper Normandy |
Department | Seine-Maritime |
Arrondissement | Rouen |
Intercommunality | CREA |
Mayor | Valérie Fourneyron |
Party | PS |
Term | 2008 - 2014 |
Area km2 | 21.38 |
Population date | 20067 |
Population | 108569 |
Population ranking | 36th in France |
Urban area km2 | 448 |
Urban pop | 494,382 |
Urban pop date | 2010 |
Metro area km2 | 1582.51 |
Metro area date | 1999 |
Metro area pop | 518,316 |
Metro area pop date | 1999 |
Website | www.rouen.fr |
The population of the metropolitan area (in French: agglomération) at the 1999 census was 518,316 inhabitants and 532,559 inhabitants at the 2007 estimate. The city proper had an estimated population of 110,276 in 2007.
Rouen and 70 suburban communes of the metropolitan area form the Agglomeration community of Rouen-Elbeuf-Austreberthe (CREA), with 494,382 inhabitants in it at the 2010 census. In descending order of population, the largest of these suburbs are Sotteville-lès-Rouen, Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray, Le Grand-Quevilly, Le Petit-Quevilly, and Mont-Saint-Aignan, each with a population exceeding 20,000 inhabitants.
From their first incursion into the lower valley of the Seine in 841, the Vikings overran Rouen until a part of them finally settled and founded a colony led by Rollo (Hrolfr), who was nominated count of Rouen by the king of the Franks in 911. In the 10th century Rouen became the capital of the Duchy of Normandy and residence of the dukes, until William the Conqueror established his castle at Caen.
In 1150, Rouen received its founding charter which permitted self-government. During the 12th century, Rouen was maybe the site of a yeshiva. At that time, about 6,000 Jews lived in the town, comprising about 20% of the population. In addition, there were a large number of Jews scattered about another 100 communities in Normandy. The well-preserved remains of the yeshiva were discovered in the 1970s under the Rouen Law Courts and the community has begun a project to restore them.
In 1200, a fire destroyed part of the old Romanesque cathedral, leaving Saint Romain's tower, the side porches of the front, and part of the nave. New works in the present Gothic cathedral of Rouen were begun, in the nave, transept, choir, and the lowest section of the lantern tower. On June 24, 1204, Philip II Augustus of France entered Rouen and definitively annexed Normandy to the French Kingdom. The fall of Rouen meant the end of independent Normandy. He demolished the Norman castle and replaced it with his own, the Château Bouvreuil, built on the site of the Gallo-Roman amphitheatre. A textile industry developed based on wool imported from England, for which the cities of Flanders and Brabant were constantly competitors, and finding its market in the Champagne fairs. Rouen also depended for its prosperity on the river traffic of the Seine, on which it enjoyed a monopoly that reached as far upstream as Paris. Wine and wheat were exported to England, with tin and wool received in return. In the 14th century urban strife threatened the city: in 1291, the mayor was assassinated and noble residences in the city were pillaged. Philip IV reimposed order and suppressed the city's charter and the lucrative monopoly on river traffic, but he was quite willing to allow the Rouennais to repurchase their old liberties in 1294. In 1306, he decided to expel the Jewish community of Rouen, then numbering some five or six thousands. In 1389, another urban revolt of the underclass occurred, the Harelle. It was part of widespread rebellion in France that year and was suppressed with the withdrawal of Rouen's charter and river-traffic privileges once more.
of Henry II in Rouen, 1 October 1550, 30 naked men were employed to illustrate life in Brazil and a battle between the Tupinamba allies of the French, and the Tabajares Indians.]] was the first porcelain of France, end of the 17th century.]] During the Hundred Years' War, on January 19, 1419, Rouen surrendered to Henry V of England, who annexed Normandy once again to the Plantagenet domains. But Rouen did not go quietly: Alain Blanchard hung English prisoners from the walls, for which he was summarily executed; Canon and Vicar General of Rouen Robert de Livet became a hero for excommunicating the English king, resulting in de Livet's imprisonment for five years in England. Rouen became the capital city of the English power in occupied France and when the duke of Bedford, John Plantagenet bought Joan of Arc from his allie, the duke of Burgundy who had been keeping her in jail since May 1430, she was logically sent to this city for Christmas 1430 and after a long trial by a church court, sentenced to be burned at the stake on May 30, 1431 in this city, where most inhabitants supported the duke of Burgundy, Joan of Arc's king enemy. The king of France Charles VII recaptured the town in 1449.
The city was heavily damaged (about 45% destructions) during World War II : first in June 1940, when the area between the Notre-Dame cathedral and the Seine river burnt for 48 hours and then, more areas were detroyed between March and August 1944 just before and during the Battle of Normandy and its famed cathedral was partly damaged by Allied bombs. During the German occupation, the German Navy had its headquarters located in a chateau on what is now the Rouen Business School (École Supérieure de Commerce de Rouen).
The Gros Horloge is an astronomical clock (dating back to the 16th century) though the movement is considerably older (1389). It is located in the Gros Horloge street.
Other famous structures include the Gothic Church of Saint Maclou (15th century); the Tour Jeanne d'Arc, where Joan of Arc was brought in 1431 to be threatened with torture (contrary to popular belief, she was not imprisoned there); the Church of Saint Ouen (12th–15th century); the Palais de Justice, which was once the seat of the Parlement (French court of law) of Normandy and the Museum of Fine Arts and Ceramics which contains a splendid collection of faïence and porcelain for which Rouen was renowned during the 16th to 18th centuries.
Rouen is noted for its surviving half-timbered buildings.
There are many museums in Rouen: Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rouen, an art museum with pictures of well-known painters such as Claude Monet and Géricault; Musée maritime fluvial et portuaire, a museum on the history of the port of Rouen and navigation; Musée des antiquités, an art and history museum with antic or gothic works; Musée de la céramique, Musée Le Secq des Tournelles...
The Jardin des Plantes de Rouen is a notable botanical garden dating to 1840 in its present form. It was previously owned by Scottish banker John Law and was the site of several historic balloon ascents.
In the centre of the Place du Vieux Marché is the modern church of Saint Joan of Arc. This is a large, modern structure which dominates the square. The form of the building represents the pyre on which Joan of Arc was burnt.
Rouen was also home to the French Grand Prix, hosting the race at the nearby Rouen-Les-Essarts track sporadically between 1952 and 1968. There was a campaign in 1999 by Rouen authorities to obliterate remainders of Rouen's racing past. Today, little remains beyond the public roads that formed the circuit.
City transportation in Rouen consists of a tram and a bus system. The métro branches into two lines out of a metro tunnel running through the city centre. Rouen is also served by TEOR and buses run in conjunction with the tramway by the transit company TCAR (Transports en commun de l'agglomération rouennaise), a subsidiary of Veolia Transport.
Rouen has its own airport, serving major domestic destinations as well as international destinations in Europe.
The Seine is a major axis for maritime (cargo) links in the Port of Rouen; and the Cross-Channel ferry ports of Caen, Le Havre, Dieppe (50 minutes), and Calais, and the Channel Tunnel are also within easy driving distance (i.e. two and a half hours or less).
Category:Communes of Seine-Maritime * Category:Viking Age populated places
This text is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA License. This text was originally published on Wikipedia and was developed by the Wikipedia community.